Bernal Eugene Taylor was the son of Norman L. and Edna Brackbill Taylor. He was born on March 20, 1918 in Spruce Hill Township, Juniata County, PA.
Bernal attended Matamoras Elementary School and graduated from Port Royal High School in 1935. He worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad, first on the tracks and then in the superintendent's office at the Lewistown station. He served in the United States Navy during World War Two.
He returned to the railroad position until 1949, when he and his brother-in-law, Glen Kepner, purchased the store in Old Port and renamed it The Old Port Trading Post. In 1957, Ruth and Bernal bought the Trading Post from Glen Kepner.
At 8:30 a.m. on July 4, 1959, Bernal died in the F. W. Black Community Hospital after a few hours illness from a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 41.
He was a member of the Port Royal Methodist Church, Juniata County Sportsman Association, United Commerical Travelers 591, Harvester Bowling Team, American Legion Post 298, Friendship Fire Company, Auditor for Turbett Township, sponsored the Old Port Store bowling team, and was manager of the Port Royal Baseball team of the Perry-Juniata League.
Bernal's interment was in the Old Church Hill Cemetery near Port Royal.
Ruth Eleanor McCachren Taylor was the daughter of J.Wayne "Brownie" McCachren and Elizabeth Groninger McCachren. She was born on May 13, 1919.
She attended Port Royal Elementary School and graduated from Port Royal High School in 1938. Ruth worked at the Port Royal Dress Factory until the birth of Wayne Eugene in January 1941 and Bernal Wilbur in August 1943.
When they bought the store in 1949 she became a permanent fixture behind the counter and upon Bernal's death in 1959, Ruth became the proprietor until the store ceased operation in late 1970.
After many years absence Ruth returned to the dress factory for a short period, but she soon found employment with the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency. At her death on Monday April 13, 1981 she had attained the position of supervisor in the agency.
She was a member of the Port Royal United Methodist Church and the Turbett Grange 781.
Her interment was beside her husband in the Old Church Hill Cemetery.