While the Pennsylvania Canal was in operation, First (or Water) Street was the center of commercial activity in Perrysville (now Port Royal). When the Middle Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad appeared, First Street became physically separated from the remainder of the town and the commercial activity was shifted to Market Street between Second and Fourth Streets.
Upon receiving funding for the new steel river bridge in 1937, the Borough Council immediately purchased the Old Stone House, which stood on the site of the first pier east of Water Street. After some discussion as to how to remove the house they finally agreed to burn the interior and haul the stone away. On the fourth day of January, 1937, at nine o'clock in the morning, when Mr. A. H. Springsteen gave the signal to start the fire, Mr. S. R. Bashore applied the blowtorch, and a landmark of many years crumbled into a heap of ruins. Tradition tells us that it was the first house built within the limits of the present borough. (The location of this house does not appear in the 1909 photo since the camera was too far south to capture its image.)