H. Thomas "Tom" LYTER

Click On Image To Enlarge

Photo of Tom that accompanied his obituary in the Lewistown Sentinel.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/29/18 - Image Year: 2010

View Additional Photos and Comments


H. Thomas "Tom" Lyter, 67, of Mifflin, entered into eternal life at 6:17 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 27, 2018, at his residence surrounded by his loving family. Having fought a long, hard battle with Glioblastoma Type 4, a form of brain cancer, Tom looked forward to the hope that was before him because of his faith in the finished work of the cross of Christ.

Born on Aug. 6, 1951, in Lewistown, Mifflin County, he was a son of the late Holmes and Mildred "Mid" (Parkyn) Lyter. On Nov. 27, 1971, he was married to Margaret ?Peg? (Casner) Lyter and was blessed to have spent 24 years with her before her passing after a long battle with colon cancer. On July 19, 1996, Tom was married to his surviving wife, Carol (Imes) Lyter, with whom he was blessed to share over 22 years of marriage.

Tom graduated from the Class of 1969 at Juniata High School, but he always cherished his time spent at Tuscarora Valley High School.

Mr. Lyter is survived by: his daughter, Michelle Holler and her husband, Travis, of Mifflintown; a sister, Cheryl Kint and her husband, Gary, of Loysville; a brother, Donnie Lyter and his wife, Barb, of Mifflintown; and several generations of nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents and first wife, he was preceded in death by a sister, Teresa Swarner.

Although Tom held various jobs, one of his favorites was working in the sporting goods section at Schlegel's in Thompsontown. Tom always said that 90 percent of fishing lures caught fisherman and the other 10 percent caught fish. His gift of meeting and talking to people prepared him for the job that he loved the most - being the sheriff of Juniata County, an office that he would hold for 28 years. One of the highlights of his career was being the president of the PA Sheriff's Association in 2010.

Known for his quick wit and laughter, Tom could also tell stories for hours and he never met anyone that he couldn't talk to. He was also an avid hunter and fisherman who enjoyed fishing the St. Lawrence River for decades. In 2010, along with his wife, his brother Donnie, and sister-in-law, Barb, Tom was able to purchase a piece of property in upstate New York in the Black Lake area, where he had wanted to retire and spend his summers, but God had other plans.

Mr. Lyter was a man of faith and he attended the Church of the Living Christ in Loysville.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018, at the Cedar Grove Brethren in Christ Church Life Center, 287 Deerville Road, Mifflintown, with Pastor Doran Wray officiating. Interment will follow at Old Church Hill Cemetery, Port Royal.

A viewing will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2018, and from 10 a.m. until the time of the services on Friday at the Cedar Grove Brethren in Christ Church Life Center.

The family will provide all the funeral flowers and kindly ask that memorials in Tom?s memory be made to: Church of the Living Christ, 2401 Fort Robinson Road, P.O. Box 180, Loysville, PA 17047; Child Evangelism Fellowship- Mifflin, Juniata and Perry Counties, 55 Howell Drive, Mifflintown, PA 17059; Samaritan?s Purse, P.O. Box 3000, Boone, NC 28607; or to the PA Sheriff?s Association, 2426 N. 2nd St., Harrisburg, PA 17110.

Arrangements have been entrusted to the Brown Funeral Homes Inc., 100 Bridge St., Mifflintown.

To offer online tributes and condolences for the family, please visit www.brownfuneralhomesinc.com.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/30/18 - Image Year: 2000
Photo of Tom while serving as sheriff of Juniata County.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/29/18 - Image Year: 1967
Tom as a sophomore in the 1967 TVHS Yearbook.

Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services