Farm - Groninger Gilson
Two large farms existed inside the town bounderies of Port Royal. One was commonly known as the Moyer Farm. The second was the Groninger-Gilson Farm. This second farm was located in the western section of the town between Eighth Street and the Tuscarora Creek.
The Groninger Farm gets its name from Jacob Groninger, son of Leonard Groninger and Barbara May. Jacob's son Leonard Groninger was the next owner. Leonard was followed by Robert Elliott Groninger. It was while Robert E. owned the farm that lots were sold off along the extension of Main Street, more commonly known as Town Lane. Eventually subsequent owners developed lots on the Milford Street Extension and Ninth Street.
One of the family's more prominent members, Robert's son General Homer Groninger built a large house on the former farm property when he retired and returned to the town after World War II. The former Tuscarora Valley Elementary School building is also located on former farm property.
For a number of years the farm's large barn (with Gambrel Roof) was a prominent fixture sitting behind the Point Service Station.
During the middle of the twentieth century the farm was operated by Guy and Nellie Gilson. (Unsure whether they owned, or leased, the property.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1913
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1930
Contributed by ray on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1950
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1924