Creamery - Breyer's Ice Cream

Third St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

1932 CREAMERY FIRE: Firemen fight the fire at the creamery in 1932. After the fire the building would be rebuilt at the same site. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/1/13 - Image Year: 1932

View Additional Photos and Comments

At one time a creamery was located on Third Street near the Tuscarora Creek. In 1912 the Breyer Ice Cream Company operated a creamery at the old railroad transfer about one-fourth mile north on Third Street. The following note appeared in The Port Royal Times of February 14, 1912: "Mr. Madden, representing the Breyer Ice Cream Company of Philadelphia was in town last week and made arrangements for starting work on Monday morning on the milk condensed plant that will be located here." The April 17, 1912 issue of the Times further reported: "The mechinery for the Milk Condensery in Port Royal is now being installed. A well 120 feet deep has been drilled and has 100 feet of water there which will furnish an ample supply of water."

For the present the large warehouse building of the Tuscarora Valley Railroad Company will be used for this purpose. The building will be lined on the interior and a concrete floor and vats will be put down, and other changes will be made. When the milk supply has increased to the amount to warrant it, a new concrete building with all the modern conveniences and an ice plant will be erected.

lt is thought that everything will be in readiness to start business on the first of April. C. Ross Maffet has taken the contract for cutting and housing 500 tons of ice for use at this plant during the coming summer."

In 1919, a new bulding was built, but it was destroyed by fire in 1932, and rebuilt on the same site. The rebuilt building was torn down in 1939 and replaced by a more modern structure.

Eventually, in 1964, the operation was transferred to Millerstown and the Port Royal Creamery was closed.

The following note appeared in the July 15 1964 edition of the Port Royal Times: "After more than 50 years of continuous service to farmers in the area, Breyer's Creamery Plant at Port Royal was closed recently. The plant had been in continuous operation (7 days a week) ever since it opened in 1912, except for a few months in 1943, when it was severely damaged by fire. The seven milk haulers who previously shipped to the local plants will now haul all milk to the Millerstown plant."

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by letwet on 9/2/10 - Image Year: 1938
Another view of the creamery. It appears that a truck driver is either unloading or reclaiming the milk cans that were used on the farms. -(submitted by Edwina Bryner)
Contributed by ray on 3/1/13 - Image Year: 1938
MILK CANS BEING UNLOADED: The truck likely picked up full milk cans at the farms which were filled with milk to be processed at the creamery. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/1/13 - Image Year: 1938
BUILDING AND CAN CONVEYOR: The creamery building with a good view of the milk can conveyor. Horse drawn wagons and trucks would bring cans of milk to the creamery for processing. The full cans would be transferred from the transportation vehicle to the conveyor so that they could enter the building. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/1/13 - Image Year: 1960
FULL CONVEYOR OF MILK CANS: (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 2/3/13 - Image Year: 1940
View of the Creamery while still in operation. (Photo courtesy of Leon Kepner from Juniata Sentinel)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/2/13 - Image Year: 1961
UNLOADING LAST CAN OF MILK: William Kelly of Mifflintown RD1 unloads the last can of milk for the Breyers Creamery in Port Royal. William has hauled milk to rhe local plant for the past thirty-five years. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/1/13 - Image Year: 1961
LAST CAN OF MILK BEING DUMPED: On the final day of operation of the Creamery, William Kelly unloaded the last can and retired employee Fred Wagner was given the honor of dumping that last can. Pictured in the photo are (l-r): Fred Wagner, Earl Hack and Bill Wagner. (Phoyo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/1/13 - Image Year: 1961
LAST TRUCK SHIPMENT FROM PORT ROYAL PLANT: Truck Driver Robert Ditmer drove the final truck load of processed milk from the Port Royal Creamery to the Breyer's Creamery at Millerstown. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services