Railroad - Tuscarora Valley - Transfer

Tuscarora Valley Railroad
Click On Image To Enlarge

The fireman of TVRR 4-4-0 last #3 hand-shovels a load of coal from a hopper on the PRR coal trestle into the tender of TVRR last #3. The photo was taken by Richard Steinmetz on 2/1/1934, only eight months before the line was abandoned. A PRR signal bridge is visible above the locomotive cab, with semaphore signals still in use. George Pierson collection. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934

View Additional Photos and Comments

The TRANSFER area was a place just north of Port Royal where the tracks of the Tuscarora Valley Railroad ran along side a spur of the Pennsylvania Railroad and where the TVRR and the PRR interchanged freight or other cargo.

When freight was to be transferred from the standard gauge PRR to the 3 foot gauge TVRR, the PRR would spot a boxcar on their siding, and the TVRR would spot two smaller narrow gauge box cars across the platform and the freight would be transferred by hand.

Transfer would also permit a PRR coal car to be parked on the spur and coal to be offloaded onto the tender of the Tuscarora Valley train. A coal trestle existed at this location to facilitate the unloading of coal for use by the TV.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
Another shot of TVRR 4-4-0 last #3 by the PRR coal trestle at the Transfer. The four track PRR main line is just on the other side of the coal trestle. Richard Steinmetz took this photo on 2/1/1934, only eight months before the line was abandoned. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
Another shot of TVRR 4-4-0 last #3 by the PRR coal trestle at the Transfer. The four track PRR main line is just on the other side of the coal trestle. The smoke in the background is from a PRR steam engine. Richard Steinmetz took this photo on 2/1/1934, only eight months before the line was abandoned. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1992
The last abutment that originally supported the PRR coal trestle at the Transfer area, Port Royal, PA. Photo is looking south and was taken c. 1992 by George Pierson. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1992
The concrete abutments for the PRR coal trestle at the Transfer, Port Royal, PA., looking south. (Photo taken and submitted by George N. Pierson about 1992.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1923
Looking north along the TVRR tracks as they slope down toward the Transfer, c.1923. The dirt road is today’s North Third St. There is a TVRR boxcar parked about halfway to the Breyers Ice Cream Creamery, (roof visible in distance (left)). Just to the right of the roof can be seen a signal bridge with semaphore signals on the PRR. The tall telegraph poles across the center of the photo mark the PRR’s four tracks approaching Port Royal. Photo submitted by George N. Pierson.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1987
The same view as the previous, taken c. 1987. The view is looking north along North Third St., Port Royal, PA. The fence curving to the right at the right side of the photo follows the original curve of the track of the TVRR, gone for over fifty years when this picture was taken. Photo by George Pierson. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by ray on 3/2/13 - Image Year: 1913
Looking north along the TVRR tracks as they slope down toward the Transfer, c.1923. The dirt road is today’s North Third St. (Photo submitted by Prof. George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1922
Looking north along the TVRR tracks heading toward the Transfer, c. 1923. The dirt road is today’s North Third St. The switch in the center of the photo leads (right) to the siding adjacent to the PRR Freight House. The track to the left is the TVRR main line heading south toward Old Port. Photo is from the collection of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and was probably taken c. 1922. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1987
This photo was taken from the same place as the previous photo, only looking in the opposite direction. That is North Third St. and the photographer was looking south toward downtown Port Royal. The TVRR main line toward Old Port curved to the right just beyond the retaining wall on the right. The siding down toward the PRR Freight House curved to the left between the nearest utility pole (left) and the car (center). (Photo taken c. 1987 by George Pierson and submitted by him.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1935
Taken after abandonment in the fall of 1934, this photo looks north and shows the general layout of the Transfer area. From left to right we see the partially scrapped remains of TVRR last #2, a 4-6-0 locomotive, sitting on the lead into the TVRR wye track, which allowed engines to be turned. The track to the right of the engine is the TVRR tracks toward the Breyer Ice Cream Creamery, the building in the center. The TVRR leased part of this building as an enginehouse. Tracks to right are PRR
Contributed by ray on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1922
TVRR’s stock car #6 at the Transfer, Port Royal, PA., c. 1922. The stock car is carrying pulpwood, a common occurrence on the TVRR. That’s a PRR wooden boxcar just behind it. Photo from the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
After abandonment, the TVRR stored its equipment on the track at the Transfer, Port Royal, PA. The car on the right is market car #207, one of two boxcars converted to carry produce and livestock to market. The car in the center is TVRR stock car #7. On the left is a TVRR coach. Behind these cars is the four track PRR main line. Photo taken c. 1934, from the collection of Ben Kline. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
You can still barely make out “TUSCARORA VALLEY” on the letterboard of this coach as it sits derelict adjacent to the freight transfer north of Port Royal. The picture was taken by the late Richard Steinmetz in October of 1934, as the TVRR was being scrapped. Notice the pile of rail joint bars and an old set of wheels. From the Ed Bond collection. (Submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by ray on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
The late Richard Steinmetz took this shot on a day in October of 1934. Notice that the stock car on the right has what looks like scrapped machine shop tools. The photographer appears to have been seated on a standard gauge flat car (left) which was ready to be loaded with scrap from the TVRR, such as the pile of rail in the foreground. The view looks south toward the town of Port Royal, with the PRR main line tracks on the left. From the Ed Bond collection. (Submitted by George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
The late Richard Steinmetz took this south-facing photo in November of 1934. In the foreground are TVRR cars awaiting scrapping, including one of the coaches converted by the TVRR into combination baggage and passenger car. The building behind the cars is the Breyer Ice Cream creamery, which also served as a car house for the TVRR in Port Royal. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1935
By October of 1935, TVRR last #3, a 4-4-0, sat on an isolated piece of track adjacent to the Breyer Ice Cream creamery at the Transfer. Note that in the 1920’s the TVRR placed a former truck headlight in front of the original oil headlight for nighttime illumination. The truck light was powered by batteries. This view looks south, with the PRR main line tracks on the left. (From Ed Bond collection. Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 1/29/12 - Image Year: 1934
LAST OF THE TV - In 1934 the engines were dismantled at the "Transfer" in Port Royal and sold for scrap. This shows part of a dismantled engine ready for sale. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1934
After the railroad was abandoned in 1934, TVRR last #2, a 4-6-0 engine, was scrapped in place while sitting on the south leg of the wye track at the Transfer, Port Royal, PA. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services