Railroad - Tuscarora Valley - PRR Freight House

Tuscarora Valley Railroad
Click On Image To Enlarge

FORMER PRR FREIGHT HOUSE This photo was taken on April 12, 1986. The TVRR tracks would have come in parallel to the building from the left and terminated in the center of the photo. The former PRR freight house, over 130 years old, was being used by the Annlick Farm Supply company at this time. (Photo taken and submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1986

View Additional Photos and Comments

The Pennsylvania Railroad Freight House was a brick structure built by the PRR in 1858 for loading and unloading cargo near the Port Royal Station. The structure had a footprint of 33 feet by 100 feet. The building was located north of the Wisehaupt Grain Elevator and sat along a siding from the main line of the PRR Middle Division.

Much of the Tuscarora Valley Railroad's activity that occurred in Port Royal occurred in front of the PRR Freight House. Cargo would be transferred to and from the TV at this location. Since the TVRR had no station at Port Royal, passengers would board the train in front of this building.

Attached are two maps that show the location of the freight house in relation to the other buildings and two rail lines. In addition there are photos of the building as it appeared in the background of the railcars. Two pictures as it appeared while being used by the neighboring mill in 1986. Finally there is a photo of the building as modeled by Professor George N. Pierson for his HO layout.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/22/09 - Image Year: 1910
FREIGHT HOUSE IN OPERATION: This picture shows the PRR Freight House in operation. The people in the photo are not identified. It is likely that the milk cans and chickens in the crates are awaiting transit on the Tuscarora Valley RR.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1986
FORMER PRR FREIGHT HOUSE The PRR freight house, when photographed on April 12, 1986, was being used by the Annlick Farm Supply company. The semi-trailer on the right sits about where the TVRR siding was in this southward-facing view. You can just see the cupola of the former Wisehaupt grain elevator in the center of the photo, with the Hotel Royal just visible above the semi-trailer. (Photo taken and submitted by Professor George N. Pierson).
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/16/09 - Image Year: 1930
MAP: This map shows the Tuscarora Valley RR interchange with the Pennsylvania RR at the borough of Port Royal. The line moved eastward along the northern side of Milford Street and then veered to the north between 3rd and 4th Streets.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/2/09 - Image Year: 1904
This map shows the PRR Freight House in relation to its surroundings. Close by is the Wisehaupt Grain Elevator and Mill. Across the tracks is the first Perrysville (Port Royal) Passenger station. The Milford Street Crossing and Hotel Royal can be seen south of the Freight House.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 2009
This photo shows an HO scale model of the PRR freight house as it looked from the side closest to the PRR tracks. The loading platform ran the length of the building. The Wisehaupt grain elevator is on the left and the Hotel Royal appears in the background. Thatís TVRR last #3, a 4-4-0, departing from the behind the freight house on George Piersonís model railroad of the Tuscarora Valley RR. Photo by George Pierson.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1898
The locomotive is TVRR first #3, a 4-4-0 from another narrow gauge line. Location unclear but appears to be Port Royal. The cart on the rails in the foreground seems to be used to transfer heavy freight from the TVRR platform just behind it to the PRR freight house. On this day its load consists of narrow gauge wheel sets. The buildings in the background may have been early lumber sheds. (Photo taken by Francis L. Cooper, submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/16/09 - Image Year: 1922
CARS AWAITING ENGINE: The TVRR had a siding that ran down from the main line and terminated on the west side of the PRR freight house. A TVRR train is awaiting departure at Port Royal, c. 1922. The coach and combine are in place, preceded by a lumber flatcar. The PRR freight house is on the left, the feedmill's cupola can be seen above the coach, and the Hotel Royal is at the far right. Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania/PHMC collection. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/16/09 - Image Year: 1922
A TVRR train being loaded on the siding behind the PRR freight house in Port Royal. Passengers and baggage await boarding and loading. Tickets were bought at the Hotel Royal, behind the photographer. Note that the combine's baggage compartment still has windows, revealing its original configuration as a full passenger car. A car that included both compartments was known as a combine. (Photo from Ed Bond collection.) (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1922
TVRR PASSENGER COACH: An excellent picture of one of the TVRR passenger coaches sitting on the siding at the Port Royal yards. The PRR freight house can be seen behind the car and the corner of a small ice house is visible on the right. (Photo from the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Collection.) (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1922
TVRR COACH CAR & CONDUCTOR: This photo is undated but is a wonderful shot of a TVRR coach sitting on the siding by the PRR freight house in Port Royal. The photographer was facing west. The conductor stands by his train as various onboard passengers watch the photographer. Unfortunately none of the people in the picture are identified. From the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania collection. (Photo submitted by Professor Goerge N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1925
MAIL MUST GO THROUGH: A TVRR "combine" car next to the PRR freight house in Port Royal about 1925. The PRR freight house is visible through the open door. The pile of bags in the foreground may be pouch mail. The TVRR had a contract with the US Post Office to haul mail up and the down the valley. The men standing in the car door are brakeman Jimmy Leonard (left) and conductor John Neal (right). Photo from the collection of the late John D. Denny, Jr. (Photo submitted by George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/16/09 - Image Year: 1934
THE END IS NEAR. One of the TVRR combination coach and baggage cars sits on the siding adjacent to the PRR freight house. This photo was taken by by Richard Steinmetz in February 1934 shortly before the line ceased operation. There are no passengers or freight and weeds are growing between the rails, the end of the line is apparent. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/17/09 - Image Year: 1935
TVRR COMBINATION PASSENGER-BAGGAGE CAR: The photographer is looking east at a TVRR "combine" car sitting on the siding in Port Royal, adjacent to the PRR freight house in the background. Notice the various small freight items piled into the baggage compartment and the chicken crates stacked at the right. From the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania collection. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services