Church - Methodist
The Methodist Church in Port Royal has been at two different locations. The first two buildings were located at the southwest corner of Third and Milford Streets, while the current building stands at the southeast corner of Fifth and Market Streets.
The following is how the Port Royal Times reported on two different events for the Second Methodist Church, the Laying of the Cornerstone and the Fire that eventually destroyed that building.
CORNERSTONE OF SECOND METHODIST CHURCH LAID
"On Sabbath morning [13 Aug 1893] of this week the cornerstone of the new Methodist Episcopal church in Port Royal was laid, and the important occasion brought together a large concourse of people to witness the interesting exercises. An eloquent and appropriate sermon was delivered by Rev. Wm. H. Stevens, of Orbisonia, who based his discourse on the 18th and 19th verses of the 6th chapter of Hebrews, and was listened to throughout by the large audience with rapturous delight. The cornerstone was laid in accordance with the ceremony contained in the ritual of the church, conducted by the Rev. W. H. Stevens, assisted by the Revs. R. M. Campbell, of the Presbyterian Church, and Pastor J. K. Lloyd. Rev. W. N. Wallis, of the Episcopal church, Patterson [now Mifflin], was also present.
The cornerstone is white marble and bears on the face this inscription, "M. E. Church, 1893" In the stone were placed a copy of the church discipline, Christian Advocate, Central Penna. Methodist, The Port Royal Times, the names of the Trustees and Building Committee, and the name of all persons contributing the sum of one dollar and upward at the laying of the cornerstone. About one hundred dollars was subscribed on this occasion. The cornerstone was presented to the church by Messrs. A. V. Hombach & Son, manufacturers of monuments, Newport, Pa., and the gift is highly anticipated by the congregation. Pastor and people are greatly encouraged in this laudable undertaking and are laying hold of the great work with an energy that knows no such word as fail."
PORT ROYAL METHODIST CHURCH DESTROYED BY FIRE FEB. 17, 1909
"Again the ﬁre fiend has visited Port Royal and destroyed the Methodist Episcopal Church, the most modern structure in the town, and caused a loss of $4,500.
The fire was first discovered at 8:15 in the west wing of the building and before anything could be done to check the flames, the entire structure seemed to be ablaze. Willing hands were soon at work, however, trying to save the furniture but all that could be gotten out was one organ and a few chairs.
The properties of Mrs. Mary McGaw, on the west; Mrs. J. Balsbach on the north and H. C. Hower on the east was in great danger, but by heroic efforts of the bucket brigade, very little damage was done to these properties.
How the fire originated will remain a mystery, because when it was first discovered the entire building seemed to be on fire, and the fact that it was entirely doomed was at once apparent to the large crowd that had soon gathered at me scene. The fire burned rapidly and by 9:30 the whole interior of the building had gone up in smoke and nothing remained but the brick walls of what was a short time before the most modern church building of the town.
Many were the sad hearts that stood and watched the flames devour a building that was dear to them because of the hard work and honest efforts it had required to erect it, and because it had been their place of worship for many years, for upon this same spot was the first Methodist Church erected In Port Royal.
The interior of the building was finished in yellow pine and this was as so much tinder to the flames which were soon leaping to a considerable height and lighted the sky for many miles. The fact that the walls of the church were of brick and that no wind was blowing lessened the danger of the flames spreading to the nearby building, but they were, however, badly damaged by the heat.
It is thought that the walls which remain standing can be used in rebuilding the ediface. They seemed to be in apparently good condition and free from cracks. While the wall on the east side of the church is somewhat damaged, it is thought that the greater part of it can be utilized without tearing it down.
The burning of this handsome church which was erected at a cost of $5,000 and dedicated December 3, 1893, has cast the shadow of gloom not only over the congregation that suffered the loss, but the Sister churches of the town as well, and all are extending their well-meant sympathies.
Fortunately the congregation that has suffered the loss has been granted the privilege of having their services in the Airy View Academy Building and the revival services which had been in progress for the past four weeks are now being conducted in this building. The directors of the Academy Association and the directors of the Port Royal School District each held a meeting on Monday and took official action, allowing the Methodist congregation use the building for Church services for a period of four months."
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/24/14 - Image Year: 2007
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/4/09 - Image Year: 1890
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/4/09 - Image Year: 1905
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/23/09 - Image Year: 1885
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/23/09 - Image Year: 1889
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/23/09 - Image Year: 1904
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/22/20 - Image Year: 1909
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/4/09 - Image Year: 1910
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/16/13 - Image Year: 1950
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/28/17 - Image Year: 2017
Contributed by rkohler3 on 10/12/17 - Image Year: 2017
Contributed by ray on 9/28/17 - Image Year: 2017
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/27/17 - Image Year: 2017
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/20/09 - Image Year: 1889
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/20/09 - Image Year: 1904
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/20/09 - Image Year: 1911
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/20/09 - Image Year: 1928