Service Station - Point

Eighth St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

Unsure when this photo was taken. Probably in the early 50s.
Contributed by ray kohler on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 1950

View Additional Photos and Comments

The Point Service Station has been a landmark in Port Royal for some time. Originally the service station was at the west end of Market Street. At the Point, Market Street was dead ended and Route 75 traffic had to make a sharp left turn onto 8th Street and then proceed out Town Lane to get to Old Port. (One of the photos clearly shows the Route 75 sign directing traffic to the left.) When the road was rerouted to connect with the bridge across the Tuscarora Creek, the original service station building was torn down and a new cinder block building was constructed at on the northwest corner of Eighth and Market Streets.

The Point has been owned and managed by a number of persons. The following may not be in chronological order: Luther "Tubbie" Pfahler, Stewart Leyder, "Red" Emery, Glen Kepner, "Skip" Bitting, Paul Moyer, Ray Ard, Paul Williams, Charlie Williams, "Sonny" Mahlin and Brian Ehrenzellers.

Still the Point wasn't the only service station in the town. There have been other stations located on Tyson Hill, on Market Street and at the intersection of Routes 75 and 333.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by ray on 3/7/13 - Image Year: 1930
ADVERTISEMENT from 1930 PRHS Yearbook when the Point was operated by J. Luther "Tubbie" Pfahler.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 1/13/11 - Image Year: 1938
A 1938 advertisement for Glen Kepner's (Point) Service Station.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1950
Advertisement for Kep's Service Station (Submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by ray on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1945
Point Service Station with the Groninger Barn clearly visible to the left of the photo. (Submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/13/13 - Image Year: 1949
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1949 TVHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1949
ADVERTISEMENT
Contributed by admin on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 1958
It is believed that the persons in the picture are Charlie Williams (l) and Frank "Babby" Eby (r). Just estimating when the photo was taken.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1960
ADVERTISEMENT for the Point when owned by Paul and Charlie Williams. (Submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1960
Point Service Station
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/28/10 - Image Year: 1995
POINT and MINI-MART: The Point Service Station can be seen to the far left of the photo just after a snow storm.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/16/13 - Image Year: 1990
Point Service Station after Route 75 redirection but before the station stopped selling gasoline. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1970
The Point Service Station after Route 75 was redirected. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by ray kohler on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 2009
Although it may be difficult to see from this picture, the Point is no longer located at the head of Market Street. It is also unfortunate that the trucks in the foreground have obscured the station.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/4/14 - Image Year: 2007
EIGHTH STREET: an aerial view of Eighth Street between Milford Street to the top and Main Street to the bottom as represented by Google Maps.
Contributed by ray on 5/23/14 - Image Year: 2007
ROUTE 75: an aerial view of Route 75 between the intersections with Eighth and Route 333 as represented by Google Earth.



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services