Odd Fellows Hall

Market St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

The building has been converted to an apartment house and is currently used for that purpose.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 2009

View Additional Photos and Comments

This building is often referred to as the Odd Fellows building. It was so named because the second floor of the building was the meeting house of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) and its female group, the Rebekahs.

The lower floor of the building was often used for commercial purposes. At one time, it was used as Bitner's "Fleetwings" pool hall, Sterrett's, Heckerman's, Phillips and later Suloff's Drug Store. (Suloff's eventually moved to the middle of the 200 Block.) Still later, Marion Groninger and Ethel Bergstresser operated a women's clothing store called the "Mariette Shoppe".

During the time the Sterretts owned the business, the following advertisement appeared in the Port Royal Times:

STERRETT & SON (Successor to J. P. Sterrett) (1882)

Druggists & Pharmacists, Market Street

The firm is the representative house in the drug trade of the Borough of Port Royal. It has been established for the past seven years. The store occupied is a fine frame building of 40x22, and is located on the chief business street. The stock comprises every article usually found in a first-class druggist establishment, including paints, oils and glass, and a fine class of fancy articles, stationery and toilet goods, books, etc. Prescriptions are currently compounded, and none but the best medicines are used. The stock bears a value of $2,000, and sales are equal to $3,000 per year, the trade extending over the best part of the country surrounding. The individual members of the firm are J. P. Sterrett, a native of Juniata County, now a practicing physician and resident of Pittsburg, and R. M. Sterrett, also a native of Juniata County, this gentleman devoting his entire professional abilities to the establishment.

Today the building is used as an apartment house.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 1910
Apparently the lower floor of the building was being used as a Drug Store when this photo was taken.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/11/09 - Image Year: 1920
This is a memorial ribbon from the Tuscarora Lodge of the IOOF. The Tuscarora Lodge No 556 was organized at Port Royal in 1859 and in 1875 purchased a site and erected a hall at a cost of $2,000. (A History of the Juniata Valley and its People)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/13/13 - Image Year: 1949
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1949 TVHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/26/09 - Image Year: 1889
This map shows the 300 block of Market Street as it appeared in 1889. This building is represented as #14 on the map.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/26/09 - Image Year: 1904
This map shows the 300 block of Market Street as it appeared in 1904. This building is represented as #14 on the map.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/26/09 - Image Year: 1911
This map shows the 300 block of Market Street as it appeared in 1911. This building is represented as #14 on the map.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/26/09 - Image Year: 1928
This map shows the 300 block of Market Street as it appeared in 1928. This building is represented as #14 on the map.



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services