Bridge - Tuscarora Creek - Route 75

Route 75
Click On Image To Enlarge

This is the second Old Port Bridge as it appeared about 1910.
Contributed by garthe on 9/19/09 - Image Year: 1910

View Additional Photos and Comments

The first covered bridge across Tuscarora Creek, to Old Port, was built in 1818 and was one of the first bridges built in Juniata County. It was erected by Thomas Henderson and Solomon Rice and was apparently built by public contributions. Thomas Turbett (father of Stewart and William Turbett) was the treasurer of the company. Investors could make their contribution in labor or money. The original bridge, which cost a total of $1,480.24, had no roof, but after about 20 years of usage, a roof was added.

It was swept away in the June flood of 1889. That year, folks from the western part of the County, who wished to go to the Juniata County Fair, were taken across the Creek in wagons, if they were fearful to walk across on a rather flimsy temporary foot bridge.

Another wooden covered bridge was built on the same site about 1890. This remained in use until 1932 when it was torn down and replaced with a steel and concrete bridge.

The steel and concrete bridge was torn down and replaced by a new structure in 2008.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/23/09 - Image Year: 1900
The Tuscarora Creek Bridge is on the right side of the picture. The people are standing on the Tuscarora Valley (TV) railroad bridge. (Not sure of the year of the flood.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/21/13 - Image Year: 1900
EAST END OF OLD PORT: The Tuscarora Creek Bridge can be seen in the background just behind the horse. Unidentified team drivers. (Submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by gpierson on 11/17/09
In the 3rd photo of the almost-submerged TVRR bridge at Old Port, there are some buildings in the far right foreground. I was told once during a visit that there had been a pin mill adjacent to the TVRR curve leading to the bridge. Perhaps the buildings are part of this mill.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/24/09 - Image Year: 1889
This is a copy of a stock certificate for the Tuscarora and Licking Creek Navigation Company. It appears to be issued to an Isaac Hower for twenty shares of stock. It was issued May 12, (Year Unclear). This was probably the new stock company that emerged after the first bridge was swept away in the June 1889 flood.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/23/09 - Image Year: 1915
This is how the Tuscarora Creek Bridge appeared about 1915.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/23/09 - Image Year: 1915
This is how the bridge appeared about 1915.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/29/10 - Image Year: 1928
BUILDING THE BRIDGE IN 1928 (Photo contributed by Sonja Stake Baker)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/23/09 - Image Year: 1950
This is the new steel bridge that was build about 1928.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/25/09 - Image Year: 1972
The Tuscarora Creek Bridge is totally submerged under water during the June 1972 Flood. The red house in the center of the photo is the "Senator" Hertzler house in Old Port.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/23/09 - Image Year: 2008
The steel and concrete bridge of 1932 is about to be replaced in 2008.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 10/2/09 - Image Year: 2009
This is a picture of the official first crossing of the new Tuscarora Creek Bridge that opened in 2008. Riding in the back seat of the car is Ruth Landis, one of the oldest residents of Old Port who was given the honor of being the first person to officially cross the bridge. Beside her is her neighbor James McClure. Jim's wife Sandy and car owner Doc Johnson are seated in the front seat of the car. (Photo submitted by Nellie Landis Sorensen, daughter of Ruth.)



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services