DUMP CONDEMNED - Times article announcing the closure of the town dump. (Article complements of Wayne Taylor.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 2/2/20 - Image Year: 1946
The original Town Dump was closed by the state in 1946. The following note appeared in the August 6, 1946 edition of the Port Royal Times: "As we go topress we are informed that the public dumping ground of Port Royal Borough west of the town has been condemned by the state department of Health as being unsanitary. This plot of ground was purchased several years ago by the Council to be used for this purpose."
Soon after the closure of the aforementioned dump site, another site was created on the side of the ridge at the far north end of Fourth Street and it served as the town dump until it was closed in the 1970s.