Mill - Old Port

Route 75
Click On Image To Enlarge

OLD PORT MILL: It appears that a farmer's wagon is ready for loading. The picture was taken from above the mill on Hertzler Hill.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/21/13 - Image Year: 1880

View Additional Photos and Comments

The Old Port Mill was built in 1839 by John Hertzler and was first used as a carding mill for the manufacture of blankets. (Carding is a mechanical process that disentangles, cleans and intermixes fibers to produce a continuous web or sliver suitable for subsequent processing.) Eventually it became a grist mill operated by the Hertzler family, which also owned and operated the Old Port Store. (Over the years it would also be operated by the following: Chester Naugle, Scott McLaughlin, William Patton, Samuel Goodman, Dean Bergstresser, the Telfer Brothers, E. O. Helwig, Dorn Hower, Lester Yohn and John Annlick.)

This flouring and grist mill is a stone and frame structure of three stories high, and has a capacity for eight bushels per hour or two hundred bushels per day. It runs two pairs of burr stones and one pair of choppers. Its machinery is all of the best make for the manufacture of a superior grade of flour, and is operated by an overshot waterwheel. A large home custom trade is done in the manufacture of flour and feed, also saw mill connected amounting to $1800 per annum. (This description is from a 1882 copy of the Port Royal Times.)

The mill received significant damage during the flood of March 1936. Water was into the second floor and much grain, fertilizer and flour was destroyed. Despite the fact that the dam was washed away by this flood, the mill returned to operation with alternate means of power.

Nancy Telfer Hess says that her father, Charles O. Telfer was one of the Telfer Brothers who owned the Old Port and Doyles mills during the 1936 flood. As the water was rising, he had someone row him to the Old Port mill to retrieve the business records before they were destroyed by the water.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/18/14 - Image Year: 2007
OLD (TURBETT TWP.) PORT: an aerial view of the Village of Old Port, located where Routes 75 and 333 intersect as represented by Google Earth.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1900
This picture was taken from Hertzler Hill. The dam is located on the right, the Hertzler House ahead in the center of the picture and the mill to the left of the picture. The mill race runs beside the mill.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1905
This photo presents a broad view of the mill, Hertzler Hill and the edge of the dam.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1910
This photo shows a view from higher on Hertzler Hill and shows the mill as well as the lake created by the dam.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 2/7/12 - Image Year: 1913
MILL RECEIPT: To H. L. Bowers dated May 30, 1913 for the amount of $3.61 from Chester Naugle, mill operator.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/5/13 - Image Year: 1927
ADVERTISEMENT from 1927 PRHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1928
ADVERTISEMENT
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/6/13 - Image Year: 1929
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1929 PRHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/12/13 - Image Year: 1936
Advertisement from 1936 PRHS Yearbook
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/13/13 - Image Year: 1949
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1949 TVHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1950
ADVERTISEMENT
Contributed by rkohler3 on 4/16/14 - Image Year: 1950
Chicken Mash FEED BAG from the Old Port Mill.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/24/14 - Image Year: 1950
ADVERTISING THERMOMETER from the Old Port Mill. (Probably before 1950 due to the four digit phone number.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1953
ADVERTISEMENT from 1953 TVHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1950
This photo shows a refurbished mill. Unsure when the picture was taken or who operated the mill at this time.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1975
The retired TVRR market car that sat for years across the road from the Feed Mill at Old Port and was used by the mill for storage. It was demolished in the 1980ís. (Photo taken by Merril Fry and part of the Juniata County Historical Society Collection) (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/3/09 - Image Year: 1975
This is another view of the former Tuscarora Valley railcar.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1993
The Annlick Farm Supply, Inc. Feed Mill at Old Port. Photo taken c. 1993 by George Pierson. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1993
The Annlick Farm Supply, Inc. Feed Mill at Old Port. Photo taken c. 1993 by George Pierson. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/5/13 - Image Year: 1990
The Annlick Farm Supply, Inc. Feed Mill at Old Port.



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services