Old Port Dam
This dam was built to power the carding (and later) grist mill that stands across Route 75. Both the dam and the mill were build by the Hertzler family. The dam was fed by Hunter's Run which was later renamed Hominy Run. The dam was a casualty of the Flood of 1936 when it was reported that water was flowing through the second story of the mill. By that time the mill could rely on alternate power sources and the dam was no longer needed for its original purpose.
The small lake created by the dam provided a favorite recreational area. In the summer it was used for swimming and fishing and in the winter for ice skating.
Contributed by ray on 3/8/13 - Image Year: 1914
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1915
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1920
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/10/09 - Image Year: 1925
Contributed by rkohler3 on 6/15/15 - Image Year: 1910