Farm Supply - Wisehaupt - Kohler

Second St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

The building that housed a garage, bowling alley and barber shop. Before it became the Kohler Farm Supply. The sign on the building says S T A R Garage. (115 East Second Street)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 1935

View Additional Photos and Comments

Calvin and Maggie Kepner owned the lot before the current structure was built. They had two cows that grazed on the lot and they sold milk to the townspeople.

Frank Wisehaupt purchased the property and built the building and operated a garage out of it. In addition through the years the building has been used as a garage by the Frazer Brothers, Earl and George; Mr. Cupp, Holt Taylor, Frank Eby and Charles McConnell. It was used as a bowling ally and pool room by Forrest Hubler, Herbert Crozier and Noah Hertzler. Lorraine O. (Cricket) Shellenberger had a barber shop in part of the building before he moved to the Market and Third Street location.

During the 1940s the building was purchased by Warren M. Kohler. Warren and his son Warren B. Kohler operated the business as W. M. Kohler & Son. After the retirement of the elder member, Warren B. Kohler changed the name to Kohler Farm Supply. When the business first started it sold Farmall Tractors and New Idea Farm equipment. Warren B. Kohler discontinued the sale of tractors and farm equipment. It then focused on home appliances and lawn tractors. It has been owned by several owners since Warren B. Kohler's retiremet.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by ray on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1900
Advertisement for Farm Implements for sale by George M. Wisehaupt if Port Royal. The implements are manufactured by Hench and Dromgold of York, PA. In York, PA, there stands a large manufacturing plant, that of the Hench-Dromgold Co., which is a monument to the ingenuity, energy and industry of two native Perry Countians, S. Nevin Hench and Walker A. Dromgold. Their farm implements are manufactured on a large scale.
Contributed by ray on 3/6/13 - Image Year: 1929
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1929 PRHS Yearbook.
Contributed by ray on 3/6/13 - Image Year: 1929
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1929 PRHS Yearbook.
Contributed by kohler3 on 8/29/09 - Image Year: 1946
Kohler Farm Supply soon after Warren M. Kohler purchased and renovated it. You will note that the roof line shows a gabled end which was not present when the building was a garage and will disappear in the latest version of the building in 2009.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/29/09 - Image Year: 1946
Warren Motz Kohler in front of the building that would become known as W. M. Kohler & Son and eventually as Kohler Farm Supply.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/13/13 - Image Year: 1949
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1949 TVHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1955
ADVERTISEMENT
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/14/13 - Image Year: 1953
ADVERTISEMENT from the 1953 TVHS Yearbook.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/25/09 - Image Year: 2002
The Kohler Farm Supply as it appeared in the Summer of 2002.
Contributed by admin on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 2009
Building as it appears in 2009. (115 East Second Street)



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services