511 Market Street
This is a triple house and includes 509, 511 and 513 Market Street. (The 509 portion of the property was built before 1889 because only that portion of the triple house exists in the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1889. The 1911 Sanborn map shows all three dwellings as well as six sheds in the rear by the alley. Thus the 511 and 513 portions were built between 1889 and 1911.)
At one time this was known as theDonahey Complex. In the distant past part of this property had a building that served as a town lock-up. The building was built of 2" x 2" timbers placed closely together and covered with tin. The building originally stood on the second lot of ground on the northern side of Main Street between Fifth Street and the alley. When a jail was no longer needed, it was sold to William Donahey and moved across the street to Main and Fourth Streets. Next it was located on a lot near the Tuscarora Creek, at the end of Third Street and used as a slaughter house. Finally it was taken to this property and used as a house for curing and preparing sides of cattle for leather. Eventually it was torn down.
At one time the current building included the butcher shop of William and Isabella (Deering) Donahey. They also rented out rooms to students who attended school in Port Royal. Later the property included a telephone exchange, Ross Maffett's Meat Market, Alvin Leonard's and Russell Eaton's Grocery Store, Ditmer's Shoe Shop and David Lee's Photography Studio.
Stanley and Frances (Insley) Lee and children, David, Mary Louise and Walter lived in 509 during the middle of the twentieth century.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/24/14 - Image Year: 2007
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/13/09 - Image Year: 1889
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/13/09 - Image Year: 1904
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/13/09 - Image Year: 1911
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/13/09 - Image Year: 1928