Railroad - Pennsylvania RR - Station

Milford St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

This is the original Perrysville station. For a considerable time it served as a link between Port Royal and much of the outside world. This station, unlike its replacement, sits on the east side of the tracks across from the PRR Freight House. The photographer is looking south and the Milford Street Crossing can be seen just beyond the large building that sits behind the station. The Tuscarora Mountain is visible in the distance.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/3/09 - Image Year: 1875

When the Middle Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad was completed. Perrysville was one of the stops on the main line. When the new Railroad Bridge was build 1909-10, a new Station and Passenger Shelter were also built to replace the original Station. Sometime between 1911 and 1928 the original Station was dismantled.

Passenger trains no longer stopped at Port Royal after about 1955 and the second Station and Passenger Shelter were dismantled since 1969.

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/2/13 - Image Year: 1880
ORIGINAL STATION: The original Perrysville station is the building on the left partially hidden by a tree. Just beyond the station is the Tuscarora House, a hotel. Some men are standing on the Milford Street Crossing. The Railroad Bridge has not yet been built. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 8/18/11 - Image Year: 1908
This picture shows the first PRR station at Port Royal. The station is the second building from the right. The large building is a hotel and the Milford Street Crossing is immediately in front of the hotel. This picture is looking northeast along the tracks. Thus the first station at Perrysville (Port Royal) was on the opposite side of the tracks from the second station.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/5/09 - Image Year: 1889
This 1889 map shows the original PRR Station location across from the Wisehaupt Grain Elevator and the Railroad Freight House. The original station is shaded in purple.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1891
W. H. Rau photograph looking south toward Port Royal, c. 1891. At this time, the block and interlocking tower on the right was identified with the telegraphic call letters “PV” (Perryville). The tower controlled the change from two tracks (in the distance) to four tracks (foreground). The PRR in this period was gradually converting all of the Middle Division from two tracks to four. (Photo contributed by Professor George N. Pierson)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1900
A photo looking northwest from a spot on the westbound passenger platform. The photo was probably taken before the 1910 PRR station was built. PV tower is visible on the left of the tracks, but is a more modern tower design than that in the 1891 photograph. The device on the pole at the far right is a hand-operated semaphore signal that could be used by passengers to indicate to a local train that they wished to be picked up. (Photo submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/5/09 - Image Year: 1904
This 1904 map shows the original PRR Station location across from the Wisehaupt Grain Elevator and the Railroad Freight House. The original station is shaded in purple. The only difference between this and the 1889 map is the additional buildings on Market Street, including a general store.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/9/09 - Image Year: 1910
This picture shows construction workers. It appears that the bridge has been completed and that they are working on the station on the right side of the tracks and the unloading depot on the left side. The Milford Street railroad crossing is in the foreground. The photo was taken in 1910.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/22/09 - Image Year: 1910
This photo shows the crossing guards at the Milford Street crossing of the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks. (The Milford Street Crossing is just north of the PRR Station.) The Hotel Royal can be seen in the background. The board sheds to the left of the crossing shanty may be construction sheds that were used when the station was being built. (The Milford Street crossing was in the foreground of the previous picture.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/20/09 - Image Year: 1911
This picture was taken in 1911, soon after the completion of the Railroad Bridge and Station. The building on the left is the West Bound Passenger Shelter and on the Right is the East Bound Station. It was the East Bound Station that contained the Ticket Office and also the Freight and Express Offices. Note that the platform lights are large oil lights. These were later replaced by shephard’s crook style standard PRR electric platform lights.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/5/09 - Image Year: 1911
This 1911 map shows the original PRR Station location across from the Wisehaupt Grain Elevator and the Railroad Freight House. In addition the new Station and Passenger Shelter have been added. The map also shows the new Railroad Bridge and the closing of the Milford Street Crossing.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1912
This photo was probably taken when the station was almost new, c. 1910 (note how short the trees are along the base of the concrete retaining wall on the right). There was a wooden walkway across the tracks (left center) but normally only been used to move baggage carts across the track. The inter-track fences had gates on this walkway that were normally kept closed to keep passengers off the busy tracks. Passengers had to go up the stairs and cross the railroad bridge. (G. N Pierson photo.)
Contributed by ray on 12/28/10 - Image Year: 1915
PORT ROYAL RR STATION: (Unsure when this photo was taken.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/3/13 - Image Year: 1915
FREIGHT AWAITS TRANSFER: Commercial and Passenger activity occurs at the Port Royal Station. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by ray on 3/3/13 - Image Year: 1920
ALL ANOARD: Passengers board a train headed north westward from Port Royal. The Tuscarora House is ahead. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1917
A postcard image of the PRR Station (right) and westbound Passenger Shelter (left). There are still oil lamps illuminating the platforms, but there are now a prominent line of telegraph poles on both sides of the tracks.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/28/10 - Image Year: 1917
Both the Station and Passenger Shelter can be seen in the picture.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1918
This undated photo, from the Juniata County Historical Society’s collection, looks down from the Railroad bridge toward the westbound passenger shelter as an eastbound freight train rumbles by. The building in the top of the photo appears to be the original hotel that sat just south of the original PRR station in Port Royal. Before the Railroad bridge was built, Milford St. crossed the PRR tracks at grade and passed in front of this hotel. (Submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/9/09 - Image Year: 1919
This photo taken from atop the Port Royal Railroad Bridge shows the station and a portion of Hotel Royal.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/9/09 - Image Year: 1919
This photo was taken from atop the Port Royal Railroad Bridge. It not only shows the station but also the Hotel Royal and the Wisehaupt Grain Elevator and the PRR Freight house along the tracks. (The station that stands to the left of the photo was dismantled in 1969.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/3/13 - Image Year: 1920
THREE TRAINS: Three trains near the Port Royal Station. A freight train is proceeding north while a passenger train is traveling south, Another train north of the town is heading south. The photo was taken from the Railroad Bridge. It appears that a family is waiting at the station. (The Tuscarora House and one of the Pomeroy houses is visible on the right of the tracks, Wisehaupt Grain elevator is on the left. (Photo submitted by Wayne Taylor)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1920
George Pierson’s HO scale model of the PRR station at Port Royal and the surrounding buildings and was taken from the same angle as the photo that precedes it. Some changes from the actual building layout of Port Royal (the TVRR tracks never actually ran behind the PRR station, left) but the Hotel Royal (left), the mustard-colored house (center), the Wisehaupt grain elevator (right) and the PRR freight house just behind it are accurate copies of real buildings as they appeared about 1920.
Contributed by rkohler3.comcast.net on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1920
George Pierson's model HO scale layout. The Railroad bridge is on the far left. In the center are the PRR passenger station and to its right, the Wisehaupt grain elevator; the PRR brick freight house is at the right. That is a PRR class E6 4-4-2 steam locomotive leading a westbound local passenger train. Note the mail crane at the end of the brick platform – the PRR picked up mail “on the fly” with an arm that extended from the Railway Post Office car. (G. N Pierson photo.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1920
George Pierson’s HO scale model railroad includes some accurate models of Port Royal prototypes – the Hotel Royal on the left and the Wisehaupt grain elevator on the extreme right – but the view up Milford St. did not really look like this. And the TVRR did not cross Milford St. in the foreground but further up the street. Pierson made these features because of space limitations and a desire to add interest to his model railroad operations. (Submitted by Professor George N. Pierson)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/9/09 - Image Year: 1925
The focus of this photo is the Hotel Royal, however, it also shows the railroad station and the westbound passenger shelter depot along the tracks.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/5/09 - Image Year: 1928
This 1928 map shows the new Station and Passenger Shelter, however, the original station is gone and there is one additional Pomeroy house.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/11/09 - Image Year: 1930
An alternate view of the station. This photo presents a good view of the Railroad Bridge.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1950
One of the four cast iron signs used on the main station and passenger shelter (one on each end of each building) survives in the collection of George Pierson. It is 69” long and 15” high and weighs about 125 lbs. The red background colors are standard on PRR signs; the lettering is in a yellow buff that was used after WW II but some of the original gold leaf shows through on the right side vertical border where the buff paint has flaked away. (Submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 6/21/14 - Image Year: 1896
RAILROAD PASS: A PRR ticket from Mifflin to Port Royal. (1896)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1921
Part of a Sept. 25, 1921 PRR Middle Division Timetable, showing westbound trains that both passed, and stopped at, Port Royal. Train #3 stopped at 4:33 am; train #661 at 6:48 am; train #41 at 9:45 am; train #665 at 2:55 pm; train #1 at 4:57 pm; train #667 at 6:02 pm; train #669 at 8:17 pm; and train #6293 at 12:47 am. There were comparable eastbound service as well. George Pierson collection. (Submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/18/09 - Image Year: 1889
Two bills to W. R. Pomeroy for freight delivered to him at Port Royal on May 16 and May 17, 1889. One is for sugar and the other for rice. George Pierson collection. (Submitted by Professor George N. Pierson.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/3/10 - Image Year: 1969
The second passenger station is being dismantled in 1969. The Hotel Royal is visible in the background and the grain elevator is at the far right. (Photo by Paul Wilson, from PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD FACILITIES IN COLOR: VOL. 8, by Robert J. Yanosey (Morning Sun Books: 2010); used by permission of the publisher.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/16/14 - Image Year: 2007
SECOND STREET: an aerial view of Second Street between Milford Street to the north and Market Street to the south as represented by Google Maps.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/11/09 - Image Year: 2009
This is how the site of the second station appeared in 2009. The station was dismantled by the Railroad in 1969 and no longer exists.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/18/09 - Image Year: 2009
This is a view from September 2009 of the former location of the Port Royal PRR Station. This photo was taken from the stairway landing on top of the railroad bridge. Where the Middle Division of Pennsy's main line used to include four tracks, only two remain today. The Hotel Royal building can be seen through one of the large trees in the photo.



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services