316 Market Street

Market St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

This is how 316 Market Street appeared in 2009 when it was serving as Shirley's Restaurant.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 3/5/13 - Image Year: 2009

This building sits on the northeast intersection of Market and Fourth Streets. It began its existence as an insurance office. Then it became a clothing store when Samuel S. Beaver moved across Market Street from 315 to establish his business. Eventually the store was sold:

"BEAVER SELLS STORE

It will be news to many that S. G. Beaver, who for the past 13 years has conducted the larges store in Port Royal, on Saturday last sold his stock and fixtures to Morris Bolen of Philadelphia the new proprietor taking possession last Monday a. m.

Mr. Beaver, during his conduct of the mercantile business has built a large and flourishing trade. He is noted for his energy and fair dealing, and his store was one of the most successful in Juniata County. It is understood that Mr. Beaver contemplates going into another business, but will take a long rest before doing so.

(From the Juniata Tribune of 28 October 1920)"

Over the years the store was operated by his brother E. Luther "Lute" Beaver. After that, Glen Kepner owned and operated the business. Before it became a restaurant it was used by Bashore's Hardware as a television sales and repair facility. James "Mayor" Kennedy was the salesman and technician for the facility until his death in 1968.

While the town still had trees lining Market Street, there were two in front of this property with a bench between them. When the weather was agreeable, the bench would become one of the favorite "loafing" places in the town.

The building has been used as a cafe for the last couple of decades and is currently known as "Shirley's Little Cafe".

Photos & Additional Comments

Be the first to add a comment or photo.




Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services