605 Main Street
This house replaces a double house that sat on the south side of the 600 block of Main Street.
(Following refers to the fire destroyed double house that preceded the house pictured to the right.)
While he operated the Port Royal Silk Mill, Harold and Martha (Crozier) Hartman lived in the east side of this double house. In September 1941 they moved when they purchased the property at the southeast corner of Milford and Fourth Streets.
While the Hartmans lived in one half of the house, the other half was occupied by William A. and Grace (Walters) Rice. Eventually the Rices moved to a house on the southeast corner of Tuscarora and Second Street.
During the early 1950s the Glen Kepner (east side) and Bernal Taylor (west side) families lived in this house. After Glen and Bernal purchased the Old Port Store, the Taylor family moved into the house beside the store and the Kepners eventually built a home on the extension of Milford Street.
A 1950 History of Port Royal says that this house contained some timbers from the original Lutheran Church that once existed at Church Hill (Turbett Township). (That church was torn down after the property was sold to Noah Hertzler. Thus, this house must have been built sometime after the church was torn down.)
This house appears as a single house on the Sanborn Insurance Map of 1889 but as a double house by 1911.
This building was destroyed by fire on October 15, 2010 and replaced by a single family home. (See other photo.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/27/16 - Image Year: 2016
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/15/09 - Image Year: 2009
Contributed by rkohler3 on 12/5/11 - Image Year: 2010
Contributed by rkohler3 on 10/29/10 - Image Year: 2011
Contributed by ray on 5/20/14 - Image Year: 2007
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/11/09 - Image Year: 1889
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/11/09 - Image Year: 1904
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/11/09 - Image Year: 1911
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/11/09 - Image Year: 1928