515 Main Street

Main St.
Click On Image To Enlarge

This is how 515 Main Street appeared in the Spring of 2009 when it was listed to Jeffrey Collison.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/15/09 - Image Year: 2009

View Additional Photos and Comments

This house sits on the southeast corner of Main and Sixth Streets. It is located next to a hill that led to the Moyer Farm.

It was built in 1884-85 by Dr. Amos W. Shelley. The following note appeared in the Port Royal Times of Nov. 6, 1884: "Dr. A. W. Shelley's new residence, on the southwest corner of Main and Sixth streets, is receiving the finishing touches. The carpenter work was done by Messers. W. A. McCachren, W. D. McCormick and others; the plastering by Messrs. Isaiah Barkey and sons; the painting by Capt. H. H. Snyder, B. Frank Stimmel and Geo. W. Kepner; the graining by J. P. Bubb. It is the handsomest frame residence in Port Royal or the surrounding country, as well as the most convenient and the best finished.

For several generations the house served as both the residence and medical doctors offices of both Amos W. and his son Penrose H. Shelley.

The medical office was located on the first floor to the left of the front doorway, and there was a small waiting room there as well.

The Shelley family provided three generations of medical doctors: 1st Generation: Dr. Amos W. Shelley, 2nd Generation: sons Dr. Penrose and Dr. Jay Warren Shelley and 3rd Generation: grandson Dr. Penn Purcel Shelley. (Jay Warren died at the age of 27 so he hadn't established his practice and Penn established his practice in New Jersey where he currently lives (2009)).

Photos & Additional Comments

Add a Photo/Commnent
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/28/09 - Image Year: 1890
The Shelley home as it appeared about 1885 to 90, perhaps as it was being completed (see steps still on roof). The person leaning against the fence is unidentified. The large barn belongs to a farm below the house. Still, the two story shed is part of the Shelley property. (This and 1898 photo provided by Bill and Ellen Clark. Bill is a great-nephew of Penrose and "Teeny" Shelley and has vivid memories of visiting Port Royal as a child and going "treasure hunting" in the shed in the back.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 9/28/09 - Image Year: 1898
The Shelley home in 1898. It had been built in 1885 by Dr. Amos W. Shelley. Pictured in the photo are: (l to r) Mary (abt 16) in white blouse; Rev David T. Neely (Sarah's husband); Dr. A. W. Shelley; Sarah H. (abt 21) oldest child; Mrs. A. W. (Anna Herr) Shelley; Anna Margueretta (abt 11), in front of fence; Penrose (abt 9), behind fence, youngest child; and Jay Warren (abt 13) with bicycle. (An unidentified person can be seen looking from the office window to the left of the photo.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 10/13/12 - Image Year: 2012
The former Dr Penrose Shelly house at 515 Main St in Port Royal PA on Sep 28, 2012. (Photo submitted by Harold Hartman, Jr.)
Contributed by rkohler3 on 5/21/14 - Image Year: 2007
MAIN STREET: an aerial view of the middle section of Main Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets as represented by Google Earth.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1889
This map shows the 500 block of Main (Middle) Street as it appeared in 1889. This house is represented as #1 on the map.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1904
This map shows the 500 block of Main (Middle) Street as it appeared in 1904. This house is represented as #1 on the map.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1911
This map shows the 500 block of Main (Middle) Street as it appeared in 1911. This house is represented as #1 on the map.
Contributed by rkohler3 on 11/19/09 - Image Year: 1928
This map shows the 500 block of Main (Middle) Street as it appeared in 1928. This house is represented as #1 on the map.



Website design by
JLConsulting Web Services